Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
The peppers, herbs, and spices season the rice nicely. This fat-free and lactose-free side dish can be served with practically anything.
Prep time: 35 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- salt to taste (optional)
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- knife (You'll need help from your adult assistant.)
What to do:
- Spray saucepan with nonstick butter spray.
- Sauté onion and garlic in saucepan until tender.
- Add rice, jalapeños, broth, and cumin to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Add salt to taste (optional).
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
0g sat. fat
Serving size: approximately 2/3 cups (2 carbohydrate exchanges)
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you would like this dish spicier, add more jalapeños. If you want it less spicy, put in only 1 tablespoon jalapeños. Serve with beans.