Black Beans and Rice
This recipe is for suitable for those following a vegetarian (meat-free) diet.
This is a scrumptious and easy recipe. If you have leftovers, have the beans on a salad the next day.
Prep time: 30 to 40 minutes
What you need:
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes (low sodium)
- 1/2 c. frozen corn niblets, thawed
- 1 c. hot cooked rice
- 1/4 c. jalapeño jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
What to do:
- Sauté 3/4 cup onions, garlic, and bay leaves in oil.
- Add black beans, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and corn.
- Simmer until heated through and flavors meld.
- Make a mold of cooked rice on a platter.
- Pour bean mixture over the rice.
- Garnish with ¼ cup chopped onions.
- Sprinkle cheese over the beans.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 307 calories
- 15g protein
- 3g fat
- 2g sat. fat
- 55g carbohydrate
- 12g fiber
- 8mg cholesterol
- 765mg sodium
- 157mg calcium
- 3.4mg iron
Serving size: 1/4 cup rice and 1-1/4 cup beans
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you do not have canned tomatoes, try using salsa. Add sliced red peppers.