Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This light vegetarian, gluten-free dish can be served with steamed veggies, a salad, or baked potato.
Prep time: 40 minutes
What you need:
- 3 bell peppers
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ounce light cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce jalapeño Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1/4 cup water
- nonstick cooking spray
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Spray 9"x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Fill each pepper half with bean mixture and place in pan.
- Pour ¼ cup water into the pan around the peppers.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle each half with cheese. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 195 calories
- 10g protein
- 4g fat
- 2g sat. fat
- 32g carbohydrate
- 7g fiber
- 9mg cholesterol
- 254mg sodium
- 102mg calcium
- 2.4mg iron
Serving size: 1/2 pepper
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Any color of peppers will work well in this recipe. If you would like to add meat, you can add ½ cup cooked ground beef or turkey to the bean mixture.