Electrical, Heating & Cooling: Household Safety Checklist
- Are all unused outlets covered with safety plugs?
- Are all major electrical appliances grounded?
- Have cord holders been used to keep longer cords fastened against walls?
- Have you checked for and removed other electrical fire hazards, such as overloaded electrical sockets and electrical wires running under carpets?
- Are televisions, computers, and stereo equipment positioned against walls? Are they secured to the wall with brackets so they can't tip forward?
- Do you unplug extension cords when they are not in use?
Heating & Cooling Elements
- Are all radiators and baseboard heaters covered with childproof screens if necessary?
- Have gas fireplaces been secured with a valve cover or key?
- Do all working fireplaces have a screen and other barriers in place when in use?
- Have chimneys been cleaned recently?
- Are all electric space heaters at least 3 feet (91 centimeters) from beds, curtains, or anything flammable?
Emergency Equipment & Numbers
- Do you have a list of emergency phone numbers on your cellphone and near each phone in your home?
- Are there fire extinguishers installed on every floor and in the kitchen? Do you know how to use them?
- Do you have an emergency ladder for the upper floors of your home?
- Are there smoke detectors on each floor of your home?
- Have smoke detectors been installed in the hallways between all bedrooms of your home?
- Have you tested all smoke detectors within the last month?
- Have you changed the batteries in the smoke detectors within the past 6 months?
- If you cook with or heat your home with natural gas or have an attached garage, have you installed a carbon monoxide detector in your home?
Date reviewed: March 2018